Pages

Wednesday 18 March 2015

Warblers and Wheatears

Thought it was about time I went to see the Branscombe Yellow-browed Warbler that Phil found on Saturday, our first ever true spring Yellow-browed. Yes we've had over winterers before, but this is the first one that's actually turned up in March. It must have arrived with the load of Chiffchaffs that came in at the end of last week, and stayed around until the start of this week.  

Presumably because of the nice weather, it spent the whole time I was there this morning high in the conifers, so I really can't compete with the photos on other local birders blogs.  But still...



And just to prove my excuses for the poor photos aren't, well, excuses, here's a quick video...




It was a really interesting bird to see.  I guess I am used to seeing Yellow-broweds when they are fresh first-years in pristine plumage.  This is a right scruffy bird, and it makes it look quite different in my eyes - it's a dull one as well. It was very vocal at times, I heard it call about six times as I was first walking up to the WTW.

I didn't see anything new around and about the Estuary today, but at Beer Head four Wheatear included my first female of the year, so at least one was different to yesterdays birds. The female never allowed close approach though, unlike this chap...



I didn't realise we were going to have a frost this morning, if I knew that I wouldn't have put the moth trap out last night!  Only one moth in it this morning, an Early Grey. Complete waste of time and electricity.

And to end this post, which bucking recent trends is my third in three days, a photo of Branscombe mouth at dusk this evening...


No comments:

Post a Comment