Pages

Tuesday 27 September 2011

New Bird For The Patch

After a morning of non-birdie business off patch on Saturday, I came home to a text informing me of an 'odd Stint at BHM'. Phil had discovered it after reports of a Little Stint here earlier in the day.

I went straight down there, and was greeted with distant views of a very colour-less stint from the Island Hide, which ticked all boxes for Semipalmated Sandpiper - but with pencil and not pen. I had to leave it, but on my return late afternoon was pleased to see it much closer from the Tower Hide, and in much better light - definitely a Semi-P - a patch first!

For some reason I totally forgot to photograph it - I think because there were camera's all around me and I was too busy actually looking at it!

This afternoon I could see it poking about on the Estuary with the Dunlin flock, and despite the distance I rattled a few shots off...

Although you can't see it in these photos at all, the 'palmations' were easy to see thanks to the light and the colour of the mud

Semipalmated Sand can now go on the Axe list right besides Western Sand - which we really could do with another one of...

No comments:

Post a Comment