Pages

Monday 19 April 2010

The Warblers Are In (Including One With A French Accent!)

I'm back from the big city! It was a great trip and enjoyed every minute, but Devon welcomed me back in fine form...

On the way back to Seaton after being dropped off in Exeter by National Express yesterday late afternoon, an Osprey flew low over the road up the River Clyst. It continued flying north for a short distance before it began to circle and gain height. Makes up nicely for the one I missed on patch whilst away!

I managed an hour out birding on patch before it got dark; two Ringed Plovers on the Estuary being the best - our first ones for the year. Here's one of them, distantly...

About a month later than normal!

Now to today, and I had a VERY enjoyable morning with the AERG at Colyford Common. We caught 36 birds, and as the title suggests, during the previous night there must have been one BIG arrival of warblers...

We caught eight, and I saw/heard another three of these...

Sedge Warbler

We caught two, and I heard another one of these...

Reed Warbler

We caught one, and I saw another two of these...

Whitethroat

These three were firsts for the year for me. The other warblers we caught were three Cetti's Warblers (both re-traps), two Chiffchaffs, and this female Blackcap...

Well a brown cap!

There was one obvious highlight out of all this lot though...

Yes it is a Sedge Warbler again...

But this one had this on its leg...

Yes that does say Paris... this Sedge Warbler had already been ringed... in France!

The best of the non-warblers caught were a couple of Reed Buntings and three Goldfinches.

Whilst wandering about I scored with another year tick in the form of a Greenshank which spent a few minutes flying about over Colyford Marsh. Also saw three Wheatear on Colyford Marsh, and a Yellow Wag (in flight only - it seemed to have a very pale head), two White Wags, five Dunlin, one Ringed Plover and this Little Ringed Plover on Blackhole Marsh...

This is the plumpest you'll ever see an LRP!

There were a few butterflies about in the sunshine, including my first Orang-tip. I didn't get a photo of it, but did get a photo of this sleepy Peacock...

Found resting in the ringing hut!!

I got home at about 2pm, and after some food was out again for a couple of hours. The highlight of this foray being yet another warbler! It was great to see a/the Lesser Whitethroat back besides the railway line between Whitford and Kilmington...

Welcome home!! :-)

To complete my bird sightings for the day, three more Wheatears were on Seaton Marshes this evening with two Common Sands on the Estuary. Lower Bruckland Ponds offered singles of Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, and good numbers of Willow Warblers and House Martins.

Had the moth trap out last night, which gave me one new for the garden...

Brindled Beauty

I shall finish this post with an 'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww' photo...

I couldn't see Mum anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment