Pages

Thursday 24 September 2009

Pec Sand Revisited And A Few New Moths

Ian Seward kindly sent me these fantastic images of the Pec Sand on Blackhole Marsh last week.

I said there would be some much better photos than my lousy record shots, and these are them...


Stunning photos of a stunning bird! Thanks Ian : )

The birding of the last few days has been flat, Meadow Pipits seem to be on move but little else. So time to turn to moths....

Have had the trap on every night over the past three nights. Firsts for the garden include....

Lunar Underwing; I caught another two this morning, neither of them looking anything like this one!

Dark Spectacle

And than there's this... No one really is sure what this guy is, I have a hunch and hope my hunch is right! But whatever it is, it's a first for the garden as I've not seen one before....

White-line Dart/Square-spot Dart/something else!?...

And here's the catches in full...

Tuesday 22nd; 22 moths of 18 species: 10 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 9 Large Yellow Underwing, 7 Lesser Yellow Underwing, 6 Angle Shades, 3 Willow Beauty, 3 Light Emerald, 3 Snout, 2 Small Square-spot, 2 Vine's Rustic, 2 Common Marbled Carpet, and singles of: Square-spot Rustic, Dusky Thorn, L-album Wainscot, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, Brimstone, Lunar Underwing, Flounced Rustic and Large Ranunculus.

Wednesday 23rd; 24 moths of 12 species: 7 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 4 Light Emerald, 3 Silver Y, 2 Lesser Yellow Underwing, and singles of: Large Yellow Underwing, Brimstone, L-album Wainscot, Vine's Rustic, Snout, Square-spot Rustic, Dark Spectacle and the unknown thingy!

Today; 38 species of 10 species: 14 Setaceous Herbrew Charcter, 6 Lesser Yellow Underwing, 5 Silver Y, 4 Large Yellow Underwing, 2 Lunar Underwing, 2 Vine's Rustic, 2 Light Emerald, and singles of: Angle Shades, L-album Wainscot and Pine Carpet.

I've caught six L-album Wainscot in the past ten days. Which I'm very pleased about as they are lovely little moths! Also, on a totally different note, I see our Glossy Ibis eventually wound up at Dungeness RSPB - well at least five of them did anyway!

I hope the birding scene picks up soon.... and next week I've got three whole entire days off work, excellent! : )

2 comments:

  1. Steve, i`d go with Square-spot Dart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean, that's my hunch. But you are the first to agree with me so I've been a little hesitant.

    ReplyDelete