Following last years incredible autumn influx of Caspian Gulls, which continued through much of the winter, I couldn't wait to see if it was going to happen again in 2026. And well it sort of has, briefly at least anyway.
Records of Caspian Gulls were few and far between in the south west this autumn until we had a few days of south easterly winds at the end of August, and over the next few days it felt like we were indeed going to get a repeat of 2025's mayhem. However, after three consecutive days of Caspian Gulls on the Axe, I've not seen another since. The continued presence of Ospreys on the Axe this autumn are clearly not helping (such gull-flushers!) however I am checking when I can and there just doesn't seem to be any Casps around at the moment.
All of the Caspians were absolute corkers in their own way, and my records are as follows (all on the main Estuary):
Two juv/1st-winters on 27th August at 5pm....
![]() |
| A real long-winged beauty, with well advanced moult in scapulars and already quite white headed |
![]() |
| Same bird as above out of water - look at those long pink legs! Great comparison with similarly aged Herring Gull to the right. Overall shape just so different. |
I then had a new juv/first-winter late afternoon on 28th August...
![]() |
| What a soft-looking beauty - it's a colour of brown that no other juv gull is like in my opinion |
Then mid-afternoon on 29th August I had the same juv (I think) and a first-summer, before both were flushed by an Osprey...
![]() |
| Both birds together. First-summer (so hatched in 2025) on left with the faded but still plain greater coverts, younger bird to right which I think is same bird as previous day |
Many places are reporting poor numbers of juv/1w Yellow-legged Gulls this autumn, however the Axe seems to be doing comparatively well for them! My highest single count was of three first-winters on 27th August, but their presence has been fairly well drawn out with my first two on 15th July...
![]() |
| Still quite juvenile-like, note white ground colour to underparts and head, dark eye-mask and pink legs |
![]() |
| A flight-shot of bird number two. Note restricted pale on inner primaries |
And my most recent on 6th September....
![]() |
| Had lovely views of this one, in some nice light too (not too harsh). |
This cracker on 27th July deserves a special mention, showing really well on the lower Estuary...
![]() |
| Insane views of this one. Like Caspian Gulls of this age, I find juv Yellow-legs have a unique colour too, almost chocolatey |
![]() |
| And a nice view of its wing pattern, note the restricted pale on inner primaries |
It has been a pitiful late summer/autumn for Med Gulls on the Axe, with just small numbers trickling through and no big days for us. There's only been the odd Common Gull so far, but I was pleased to see a juvenile/first-winter on Black Hole Marsh on the evening of 13th September...
![]() |
| Not a great pic as it was getting dark! |
And that's it, no other gull surprises for me or anyone else here. The autumn is still young though so am looking forward to what may lay ahead. Next blog post, sea birds...












No comments:
Post a Comment