Pages

▼

Thursday, 24 September 2026

Back to Black Hole Marsh

I'm going to have to interrupt my series of 'catch-up' posts with a some more recent news, as Black Hole Marsh has been simply amazing!

Wader numbers and variety have dropped right off now as expected, with just a couple of Curlew Sandpipers and a Ruff present today, but the last few weeks have been absolutely amazing, including peak counts of seven Ruff and three Spotted Redshank. The last Spotted Redshank record was on 22nd, which means at least one has been present for basically a month, as the first two first appeared on 23rd August - an unprecedentedly long stay for this species on the Axe.

Some of the views of wading birds from the Island Hide have been simple incredible, so much so that even I couldn't fail at getting some ok photos...

My best ever photos of Spotted Redshank

Ruff and reflection

Almost came under the hide!  
 

It's been really enjoyable having a large wagtail roost here too this autumn, which is pretty much all Pieds now but on 29th August I counted 110+ Yellow Wags at dusk which was quite a sight (and sound!).

Alongside Black Hole Marsh, on the morning of 20th Bob L spotted a Wryneck on the tram tracks from Tower Hide.   I was just heading up that way on the tram which was handy, and although the Wryneck never showed well for us, we had at least three views of it either flitting up from track to bush, or flying bush to bush.  Our final view was more prolonged as it flew across Black Hole Marsh heading for the main path west of the marsh.  Sometime later though it clearly flew back, as it was seen again on the tram line and was last seen yesterday, but could well still be around as it's been elusive.

I have referenced Osprey in one or more of my recent posts, but it finally seems like they have  moved on now.  Osprey's have been present daily on the Axe since 20th August until 22nd September, with both adult and juvenile birds being seen. Who knows how many individuals we have actually had during that time, but I do think one juvenile in particular has been hanging around for the majority, if not all of it.

Check back soon for the next post which could be either current news or old news. I do still have a fair bit to tell from my blogging hiatus so it will probably be the latter unless of course something mega turns up!  Thanks for reading...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment