Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

A Storm In June!?

Well the weather has been a bit, shall we say, unseasonal! It can't be good for breeding birds up and down the land - very worrying indeed.

The heavy rain put me off sea watching yesterday, but as soon as it looked to be clearing early afternoon I headed to Beer. I sea watched from here 14:00 - 15:00, and saw;

7 Arctic Skua (2 pale close west, then 2 pale, 2 intermediate and 1 dark east)
50+ Gannet
42 Manxies
3 Kittiwake
5 Sandwich Tern
2 Guillemot
3 Razorbill

So no Stormies or Puffins, but it wasn't bad for a June sea watch - they are usually dire!

This morning, I had a quick look out from Seaton at about 8am. An Arctic Tern came close in and flew west, and further out several Gannets and a few Kitts and Manxies also passed west. I'm going to head out again now for another go - still hoping for a Stormie!

Lots of flood water in the valley today, but the only notable sighting from me is of these three first-summer Med Gulls near Boshill Cross...

Not always an easy species to see in June on our patch

No comments:

Post a Comment