Pages

Monday 2 August 2010

CVL Ringing Course And My First Day Back Home

I'm back from a VERY enjoyable ringing course at Chew Valley Lake. What a fantastic site they have up there, lots of private lake side areas to ring in, with a very VERY well equiped ringing hut...

It includes a fully fitted kitchen, bathroom, two toilets...I'd be more than happy to live there!

And here's a few more photos from the weekend...

What a fantastic place!

Not only did we catch large numbers of birds to process and ring, but the team (both the fellow course particpants and the trainers) were such good company. It was also fantastic to meet and spend a few days with Jez Blackburn, one of the BTO's main ringers.

I came home yesterday afternoon, and enojoyed a few hours of football. I am pretty sure an Osprey was around during afternoon, as twice all the Gulls went up from the Estuary and over the town. Quite different to the usual canoe, dog walker or fisherman flush. I got to the Estuary ten minutes after the second flush - but there was nothing.

This morning, I gave Beer Head my first visit of the 'autumn'. It was queit, but that was probably mostly because I didn't get up here until gone 10am. The three Willow Warblers and an over-flying Grey Heron were probably the only birds that could be described as being 'migrants'...

One of the Willys and the Grey Heron

There was other migrants up there though....

One of the few Silver Y's

Mid afternoon I had a sweep of the Estuary, and it proved worthwile as amongst the MASS of gulls off Coronation Corner was a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull. As to be expected now on this blog, along with a sighting of Yellow-legged Gull comes a very crappy record shot...

The least crappy of all though me thinks!

Also saw the colour-ringed Herring Gull I saw last week, Orange MG6T...

...yes I think it's red too, but apparently it IS orange!!

No comments:

Post a Comment