Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Spring Plods On, And Stuff...

I haven't written a post for a few days, mainly because the birding hasn't been over exciting! Plus I haven't had much time. So, the best way for me to summarise the last few days is to break it down into the year ticks, starting with today....

Redstart - an early morning stomp over Beer Head this morning with Bun and Karen revealed very few migrants. A few hours later though, back at home, Ian McLean texts me to inform me of our fourth Redstart of the year in the Sheepwalk. Having missed the first three I wanted to try for this one so went back up to the head. There was no sign of it after half an hour, but wandering back to the car I'm pleased to say I relocated it in the Dell, though it remained elusive. Also two Wheatear and a few Wills and Chiffs with several Swallows flying north.

Grasshopper Warbler - Beer Head yesterday morning revealed three of these little beauties reeling away like there was no tomorrow. Even managed brief views of one as it skulked in a gorse hedge. I'm pleased to have secured this one for the year as they can be a bit hit or miss. Also a singing male Whitethroat. Also on 14th a Redpoll surprised me by flying over Axmouth, especially considering how scarce they seem to be this year.

Sedge Warbler - a single singing male from the farm gate early on 13th. Then on 14th one on Borrow Pit, Seaton Marshes and today a couple singing from the farm gate.

So that's the 'Spring Plods On' bit of the title, now for the 'And Stuff...'! Let's start with some Roe Deer photos. A few days ago while I was watching over Blackhole Marsh a couple of Roe Deer appeared further along the fence line, I managed to get this photo of one...

Nice Deer

Then to my amazement they walked towards me, these photos were taken hand held with no zoom...

Closer...

And the STILL kept walking, oblivious of me in a bright white fleece!

See!

They got to just the other side of the gate before they finally saw me stood there - then they legged it!!

As everyone knows, Easter has just passed, and my highlight of Easter 2009 was this....

Thorntons too - thanks Kym : )

And lastly, here's the article in the local press about the tragic incident at Seaton Hole on Sunday....

Look at those photos...they're mine!!

I've had several birdie/wildlife photos appear in various local rags in the past, but never had photos for a proper news item published!

And that's that, this is reporter Steve signing off for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment